Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Thailand Vacation



Thailand, in one word: Amazing. 

 




My fiance and I went to Thailand for two weeks in November 2012, and we wished we’d have stayed for two months, at the very least. What we found there during this short vacation was truly inspiring – from the beauty of raw, rugged, nature to the indulgent relaxation found only in remote, desolate environments, to the discovery of a gentle, rich, and devoted culture. Oh, and there’s the flavorful cuisine, the outdoor adventure, the friendly people and their overall sense of happiness that can only come from within.

We started our trip at the southern beaches of the Krabi province: Railay Beach, Ko Phi Phi and Ko Lanta. We then traded in the beaches for urban life and flew to Chiang Mai, where I fell in love. I honestly came back thinking I must find a reason to move to Chiang Mai, a vibrant little city in Northern Thailand that will always hold a special place in my heart. We spent our last 24 hours in Bangkok which I hardly think is worth mentioning.

Since coming back, friends, family and acquaintances have asked what we thought of Thailand, what we did, where we recommend going, not going, any travel tips, and so many other questions.

To their questions I’ve answered: Thailand was amazing. It was the perfect mix of beaches and culture. Definitely go there. I’m working on a blog post to answer the rest of your questions. :)

I hope this guides you in your journeys to Thailand (and hopefully more of Southeast Asia that we didn’t have time to explore). Please reach out with questions and/or comments as Thailand is currently my favorite conversation topic! 



Our journey started with a flight to Bangkok, then Krabi, and then a cab to Ao Nang where we witnessed our first of many sunsets, and wow, was it magnificent. From there we had to catch a long tail boat to Railay Beach, and since we had just watched the very last bit of the pink clouds turn to gray (my favorite part of every sunset), it was nearly pitch black. This made for an interesting adventure of walking out into thigh-high deep water to get to the 10-person long tail boat that we couldn’t quite see out in the distance. I had visions of slipping and falling in the warm water, letting all my clothes and cameras on my back come down with me. 

We were delirious after 30 hours of traveling, but we (and our luggage) made it to the boat just fine, and we headed out into the pure blackness of the Andaman Sea, sucking in the warm, humid air, as an overwhelming sense of calm took over as we realized we made it: We were in Thailand. On vacation. For two weeks that might be so amazing they would leave permanent footprints on our lives. 

And so our vacation began…

Railay Beach
Ko Phi Phi
Ko Lanta
Chiang Mai

No comments:

Post a Comment