Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!


In the name of charity and Valentine's Day, I baked sugar cookies all night. We're having a bake sale at work tomorrow to benefit La Casa de las Madres. It's such a smart idea because people always bring in holiday treats, so now we can eat for a good cause! It lessens the guilt of snacking on sweets all day...kind of...lol.

My kitchen smells heavenly right now-- of sugar and vanilla -- and my belly is so full! I may have eaten a cookie, or two, or five (thank goodness for that 8-mile run today!), while I was waiting for the cookies to cool enough to frost. These little sugar cookies are delicious, and incredibly easy to make.

I hate to admit that these come from a box, but I can't deny it. Sad to some, but very true. I even won a bake-off with this recipe! How did I discover them? Well, after hopping around from party to party during one St. Patrick's Day in Boston (Southie to be exact), I stumbled upon these fluffy, light, sugar cookies with green (very festive) frosting. The cookies were so moist, with each and every scrumptious bite. They tasted like the top of the cupcake, which everyone knows is the best part. I ate one after another and couldn't figure out how they came out so cake-like. I asked the host and she gave me the recipe, and years later, I still remember it.

The reason they taste like cake is that they are made from the Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix! The only difference between the cake and these cookies is that you don't add water. It's just the cake mix, two eggs and 1/3 cup of oil. Other people have discovered these too - exact baking instructions can now be found on the side of the Funfetti box. After baking, they come out firm enough to be cookies but moist and fluffy enough to be the most fantastic sugar cookies, with a little bit of crunch from the Funfetti. Add some pink frosting and conversation hearts, and you have yourself the most perfect, effortless little Valentine's Day treats.

I've made them for many other holidays too - all you need is a different color frosting and sprinkles or candy - and they can be adapted to just about anything.

Happy Baking and Happy Valentine's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment